Posting date: 25 October 2021
You may have noticed that our ongoing BC Garn Bio Shetland Promotion is all about a yarn that is GOTS certified. GOTS is the Global Organic Textile Standard, and it’s an important part of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. So we thought we’d take the time to tell you a little bit about it, and why it’s important. There is tons of information about it on the official GOTS website. And we’ve got a couple of brochures here that explain how the GOTS standard contributes to sustainable development, and how it benefits consumers.
GOTS is recognized as the world’s leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibers. It defines high-level environmental criteria along the entire organic textiles supply chain and requires compliance with social criteria as well. With respect to yarn, this means that:
- The fibre used – whether plant or animal – was produced organically.
- Animal-based fibres come from animals that were raised in humane conditions.
- Fibre processing, including dyeing, was ecologically non-damaging.
- People involved in the yarn production, from farmers to factory workers, were not exposed to toxic chemicals.
- Those people were also fairly compensated for their work.
- No forced labour or child labour was involved.
GOTS certified yarns are always a good choice!