Skill Level: Intermediate
Date: Saturdays, 4 & 11 Apr, 2:00 – 4:00 pm (2 sessions, 4 hours total)
Instructor: Liane Schwarz
Cost: $52 + HST + materials
This class will focus on the basics of stranded colourwork, suitable for fairisle and other all-over colourwork patterns. By making a beautiful fairisle hat, you will be introduced to chart reading, stranding with two colours, effective fingering techniques and several more tricks of the trade that will give you the confidence to tackle more challenging projects next time.
- working in the round (both with circular needles and double points)
- attaching the yarns
- keeping a proper tension (to avoid puckering)
- fingering with two yarns
- stranding in behind the work
- tucking in floats
- centered double decreases
- reading a chart
You should know how to knit and purl, and ideally you will have made a few projects and learned how to knit in the round and with double pointed needles.
- 5.5mm 16” circular, 6.0mm 16” circular, 6.0mm double pointed needles
- 100g of aran weight (or bulky) yarn in 2 contrasting colours
- patterns and charts will be provided
There is no homework required to prepare for this class. The regularly patterned fairisle hat we make in this class will make for a few inches of homework in the intervening week between classes, but that will provide you with an excellent opportunity to practice what you have learned.